Hooper Dorm is a residential care facility located on the grounds of MacDonell Methodist Children’s Home for females between the ages of 10 – 18. The program is set up to foster a resident’s independence, self-esteem, uniqueness and mutual respect in a supportive environment. All residents should feel safe, supported, valued and connected.
The program has several long-term goals including:
To help residents acquire life management skills towards self sufficiency and adulthood.
- To assist residents in self-development, wellness and prevention as is relates to self care.
- To work with residents on overcoming obstacles towards success including:
- To provide a safe, supported, valued and connected atmosphere for age-appropriate growth and learning.
- To nurture hope within each resident.
The programs short-term goals include:
- To provide residents with weekly life management skills lessons that the resident can use in her quest to become self-sufficient.
- To provide residents with weekly opportunities for hands-on skills development towards self-sufficiency including culinary skills, budgeting, and housekeeping, etc.
- To regularly learn concepts and skills as related to wellness and self-care including basic hygiene, proper eating, and exercise.
- To initially assess residents upon admit in the areas of behavior, education and emotional needs. Each assessment shall be completed within 30 days of the resident being admitted.
- To provide services and guidance to each resident as it relates to her individual behavioral, educational and emotional needs.
- To provide a physical environment within the dorm that is safe, comfortable and takes into account the resident’s individual preferences.
- To provide off-campus activities and opportunities that enhance the growth of each resident. It is the goal that such activities and opportunities will be provided to each resident on a weekly basis.
- To work daily with each resident on behavioral goals and incentives.
- To support, through staff outreach, consistency, and structure, the value of each resident in the dorm.
Hooper Dorm is a licensed Type IV Residential Home through the Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services. Contact us for more information.